About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll be introduced to the key principles of business operations and management and learn about starting a business and the fundamentals of marketing.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our Accounting and Business BA (Hons) degree.
We'll give you a grounding in the two key branches of accounting – management and financial accounting – teaching you how to prepare and analyse business accounts and critically interpret and inform financial decision making.
We'll show you how businesses design and control their operations, exploring how economic factors affect business decisions. In addition to finance and accounting, you'll study models for management and leadership, and gain an understanding of how corporate governance works.
You'll also explore the legal context for accounting and business, looking at the areas of UK and EU law that directly affect the legal structure and operations of businesses.
Your lecturers will use their industry experience to relate accounting and business theories to working practice. This programme makes extensive use of real-life case studies, for example, to bring current issues with audit quality and misreporting scandals to life. You will apply what you learn as you study, meaning that on graduation you can be confident in your ability to work and thrive in any business or professional sector.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Learn from the experts. Our lecturers are experienced practitioners with years of professional accounting, auditing and teaching experience.
- Increase your earning potential. You’ll be well-prepared to take advantage of the growing demand for finance and accounting professionals.
- Build your networks. You’ll have the opportunity to join professional networks during your degree.
- Become professionally qualified. You’ll gain part-exemption from ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) and CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) professional accounting examinations on completion of this course.
This course is accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). Completion of the programme can give you part-exemption from the ACCA professional accounting examinations.
Graduates from this course can claim exemptions from up to eight CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) professional examinations. This allows you to begin at the Operational or Management level of training as a CIMA Accountant.