About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll be introduced to the key principles of business operations and management and learn about starting a business and the fundamentals of marketing.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our Business and Enterprise BA (Hons) degree.
You’ll learn the fundamentals of business planning and business development, building your understanding of finance and marketing for business.
You’ll learn how to formulate a business strategy, make financial forecasts, present and sell your ideas and find customers and clients, as well as discover how to take your business into international markets.
Our vocational approach means you’ll get plenty of opportunities to put the business and enterprise skills you develop into practice. Your assessments will be practical, giving you the chance to develop a start-up business and generate your own income stream as part of your degree. We’ll encourage you to spend time delivering real outputs for your business, assessing you on fundamental start-up tasks such as your launch event, marketing plan and financial forecasts.
You’ll also be able to develop the entrepreneurial skills sought by larger businesses through a major consultancy project in your final year. You’ll work with other students on new business ideas, using the skills and knowledge you’ve developed to deliver business consultancy, reports and recommendations.
Mentoring and networking is crucial for start-up businesses, so our business and enterprise experts will help connect you with a wide range of successful entrepreneurs.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- You'll have the opportunity to start your own business with appropriate support, help and advice.
- Develop the core skills in finance, business and marketing you need to start your own business.
- Get assessed on your own business activities – from marketing plans and financial forecasts, to product ranges and launch events.
- Put your business skills into practice through professional work placements and consultancy projects.
- Opportunities to access mentoring, networking and funding support for your business.
Graduates from this course can claim exemptions from up to four CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) professional examinations. This allows you to begin at the Operational level of training as a CIMA Accountant.