About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll be introduced to various types of media, both in theory and practice, and will develop an understanding of the skills and concepts required by the creative industries. You’ll explore historical approaches towards images and the social power they embody and will undertake an individual or group project to produce work that reflects the culture of 'image'.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our Creative and Professional Writing BA (Hons) degree.
On this course you will learn how to write for TV and film, understanding the process that takes your writing from script to screen.
You'll take part in creative writing workshops, gaining confidence in writing poetry and fiction and discovering how to give and receive constructive criticism.
We'll show you the professional and commercial use of writing across all of these areas, as well as encouraging cross-media exploration that will enable you to produce creative and innovative writing. You’ll also explore the potential of digital media as a platform for your creativity, focusing on online storytelling and game-based narratives.
The programme enables you to address this theme across English, Film and Media subject areas: exciting and evolving disciplines that cover digital media production, literary analysis, creative writing, language and linguistics or film analysis. There is a high degree of choice so you can tailor your programme to your personal strengths and passions.
By the time you graduate, you'll have extensive experience of writing individually and collectively in a range of styles, an established writing portfolio and an understanding of the market potential of your writing.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Experiment with your writing. We’ll encourage you to work with a mix of traditional and new media, exploring the productive interaction between them.
- Define and complete self-directed writing projects, developing a portfolio of professional writing.
- Experience commissioning, editing and appraising the work of others, as well as producing your own individual work.
- You’ll make contact with employers throughout your degree, ensuring that the work you produce is in line with current professional practice.