About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll be introduced to various types of media, both in theory and practice, and will develop an understanding of the skills and concepts required by the creative industries. You’ll explore historical approaches towards images and the social power they embody and will undertake an individual or group project to produce work that reflects the culture of 'image'.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our English and Creative Writing BA (Hons) degree.
This programme offers an opportunity to develop your creative writing skills, and imaginative flexibility, and study literary texts in English from different historical periods and a variety of genres.
You can develop your key skills in English and Creative Writing, with options throughout the degree to study English Language and Linguistics.
Working with published writers and subject specialists, you'll learn how to communicate and create for both professional purposes and pleasure. Our creative writing workshops will teach you how to give and receive constructive criticism about writing. And you’ll be introduced to speech-writing and the power of words, as well as learning how to write your own life story and the stories of others.
You will develop your knowledge of writing in English as you read, discuss and respond creatively to a range of great literary texts. We’ll teach you how to read and analyse poetry and short stories, as well as how to compare past and modern texts in the same genres.
You'll have the opportunity to work with an experienced writer on a final-year writing project and, beyond the curriculum, you’ll be part of Leeds Trinity's acclaimed writing culture, taking part in events like our annual Writers' Festival and monthly open mic nights.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Combine your passions. You'll study literary texts while developing your own creative writing skills.
- Learn from the experts. You'll work with published writers and creative writing specialists.
- Feel supported. You'll be part of an exceptionally supportive and encouraging literary environment, with links to the publishing world.
- Increase your confidence, with student-led presentations and debate.