About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll explore the benefits of a healthy population and key innovations in health and healthcare provision, with a focus on modern health issues including mental health. You’ll be introduced to multi-disciplinary perspectives on sport, exercise and physical performance including physiological, psychological, biomechanical and pedagogical concepts.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our Exercise, Health and Nutrition BSc (Hons) degree.
You’ll study the role that exercise and nutrition play in the maintenance of good health and the prevention of disease.
You’ll get a thorough theoretical grounding in the way exercise and nutrition influence health – positively and negatively – as well as developing the practical skills to improve people’s exercise habits and nutrition. We’ll explore anatomy and physiology of the body alongside the psychology and sociology of exercise and health behaviours.
You’ll gain the confidence to effectively communicate and promote health issues.
Putting theory into practice, you’ll complete professional work placements as part of your degree and you’ll have the opportunity to study abroad at one of our international partner universities.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Add to your CV by undertaking professional placements.
- Access excellent facilities, including a Sports Science Laboratory and a Strength and Conditioning Suite.
- Gain an international perspective by studying abroad at one of our partner universities.
- Choose your path. At the end of the first year, you can continue with Exercise, Health and Nutrition or transfer to Sport and Exercise Sciences, Sport and Exercise Sciences (Sports Nutrition), or Strength and Conditioning Science giving you flexibility in your career options.
This course is endorsed by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA), the professional development body for the UK’s sport and physical activity sector, for the Gym Instructor professional standard. Students who successfully complete this course will have met the Gym Instructor professional standard and will be eligible for CIMSPA membership, while also gaining a degree endorsed by an organisation recognised in the professional sector.